Rats are one of the most difficult pests to control. They are able to squeeze into extremely small openings making it difficult to block their entry. In addition rats are excellent climbers and can gain access to your home through trees bushes or utility lines. Once rats are inside your home they can cause extensive damage by gnawing on electrical wires pipes and wood. Rats also spread disease which can be dangerous to you and your family.
There are a number of things you can do to keep rats away from your home:
1. Seal any openings leading into your home. Rats can squeeze through incredibly small openings so it’s important to check your home carefully for any cracks or holes. If you find any openings seal them with steel wool caulk or another sealant.
2. Keep your yard clean and free of debris. Rats are attracted to cluttered messy areas so it’s important to keep your yard clean and free of debris. Remove any woodpiles garbage or other potential hiding places.
3. Cut back trees and bushes near your home. Rats can climb trees and bushes to gain access to your home so it’s important to trim back any trees or bushes that are close to your house.
4. Get rid of food sources. Rats are attracted to food so it’s important to eliminate any potential sources of food in your yard or home. Store food in airtight containers and keep your kitchen clean.
5. Use rat traps. Rat traps are an effective way to control rats. Place traps in areas where you’ve seen rats or where you suspect they may be hiding.
6. Call a professional. If you’re unable to get rid of rats on your own you may need to call a professional pest control company. A professional can help identify the source of the infestation and provide you with more effective control methods.
How can I keep rats away from my property?
Answer 1: You can keep rats away from your property by sealing up any openings or cracks that they could use to enter keeping your property clean and free of food and water sources that they could use and using rat traps or poison baits if necessary.
What do rats eat?
Answer 2: Rats are omnivorous animals and will eat almost anything but they prefer seeds nuts fruits and grains.
How can I tell if I have a rat problem?
Answer 3: You may have a rat problem if you see rats around your property find rat droppings or hear rats scurrying in your walls or ceiling.
Where do rats live?
Answer 4: Rats typically live in burrows underground but they will also nest in high places like attics or trees.
Why do rats come into my home?
Answer 5: Rats often enter homes in search of food and shelter.
What are the dangers of having rats in my home?
Answer 6: Rats can transmit diseases to humans through their bite or by contaminating food or surfaces with their urine or feces.
They can also cause structural damage to your home by gnawing on wood and electrical wires.
What is the best way to get rid of rats?
Answer 7: The best way to get rid of rats is to seal up any openings or cracks that they could use to enter your home keep your property clean and free of food and water sources that they could use and use rat traps or poison baits if necessary.
How do I seal up openings that rats could use to enter my home?
Answer 8: You can seal up openings or cracks that rats could use to enter your home with steel wool caulk or hardware cloth.
How do I keep my property clean and free of food and water sources that rats could use?
Answer 9: You can keep your property clean and free of food and water sources that rats could use by storing food in airtight containers keeping your garbage can lid closed and repairing any leaks in your plumbing.
What kind of traps can I use to catch rats?
Answer 10: There are many different types of traps that you can use to catch rats including snap traps live traps and electronic traps.
What kind of bait should I use in my rat traps?
Answer 11: You can use a variety of baits in your rat traps including food water and even nesting materials.
How do I set a rat trap?
Answer 12: You can set a rat trap by baiting it with food or water and then placing it in an area where you have seen rats or where you suspect they may travel.
Where should I place rat traps?
Answer 13: You can place rat traps in a variety of locations including along walls in attics or in cabinets.
How often should I check my rat traps?
Answer 14: You should check your rat traps regularly and preferably every day to ensure that they are still effective and to remove any dead or captured rats.
What should I do with a dead or captured rat?
Answer 15: You should dispose of a dead or captured rat in a garbage bag or bin and preferably away from your home.