If you’re unlucky enough to be bitten by a snake the first thing you need to do is remain calm. It’s important to keep the affected area still to prevent the venom from spreading. If you can try to identify the snake so that you can get the appropriate antivenom. If you can’t identify the snake don’t waste time – just get to a hospital as soon as possible.
Once you’re in a safe place remove any jewellery or watches from the affected limb. This is because the area may start to swell and you don’t want anything constricting the circulation. If the bite is on your arm or leg tie a bandage firmly above the bite making sure it’s not too tight. This will help to slow the spread of venom.
Keep the affected limb lower than the level of your heart to help reduce the spread of venom. If you have a phone or another form of communication call for medical help. If not start making your way to the nearest hospital or medical centre.
If you start to feel unwell it’s important to seek medical help immediately. Symptoms of snakebite can include:
– Nausea and vomiting
– Blurred vision
– Abdominal pain
– Difficulty breathing
If left untreated snakebite can lead to paralysis organ failure and even death.
If you’re in a remote area and medical help is not immediately available there are a few things you can do to reduce the effects of the venom. Firstly cut a deep V-shaped wound on either side of the bite making sure not to cut into the muscle. This will help to release the venom.
Secondly suck out the venom from the wound using a clean dry cloth. Be careful not to swallow any venom. Once you’ve done this tie the cloth tightly around the wound to help prevent further spread of venom.
Finally keep the affected limb as still as possible and get to medical help as soon as possible.
What are the first aid steps for a snake bite?
Answer: The first aid steps for a snake bite are to clean the wound immobilize the affected area and send for medical help.
What should you not do if you have been bitten by a snake?
Answer: You should not try to suck out the venom cut the wound or apply a tourniquet.
How do you clean a snake bite wound?
Answer: You clean a snake bite wound by gently washing it with soap and water.
How do you immobilize a snake bite?
Answer: You immobilize a snake bite by splinting the affected area and keeping it below the level of the heart.
How do you send for medical help?
Answer: You send for medical help by calling 911 or your local emergency number.
What are the symptoms of a snake bite?
Answer: The symptoms of a snake bite include pain swelling and redness at the site of the bite.
What are the symptoms of a venomous snake bite?
Answer: The symptoms of a venomous snake bite include nausea vomiting diarrhea and difficulty breathing.
What are the symptoms of an allergic reaction to a snake bite?
Answer: The symptoms of an allergic reaction to a snake bite include hives swelling of the face and difficulty breathing.
What should you do if you are bitten by a venomous snake?
Answer: You should call 911 or your local emergency number immobilize the affected area and keep the area below the level of the heart.
What should you do if you are allergic to a snake bite?
Answer: You should call 911 or your local emergency number and go to the nearest hospital.
How can you prevent a snake bite?
Answer: You can prevent a snake bite by avoiding areas where snakes are known to live and by wearing long pants and closed-toe shoes when hiking or camping.
What should you do if you see a snake?
Answer: You should stay away from the snake and call 911 or your local emergency number if you are bitten.
What should you not do if you see a snake?
Answer: You should not try to kill the snake or capture it.
How can you tell if a snake is venomous?
Answer: You can tell if a snake is venomous by its size shape and color.
What are the most common Venomous snakes in the United States?
Answer: The most common venomous snakes in the United States are the copperhead rattlesnake and water moccasin.