One of the best things about snake plants is that they are very easy to propagate from root. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
1. Start by carefully digging up a healthy snake plant from your garden. Make sure to get as much of the root system as possible.
2. Once you have your plant cut off any leaves that are brown or damaged.
3. Next find a pot that is big enough to accommodate the roots.Fill the pot with a well-draining potting mix.
4. Plant the snake plant in the pot making sure that the roots are covered with soil.
5. Water the plant well and place it in a bright warm location.
6. Keep the soil moist but not soggy. Snake plants are tough and will tolerate a bit of neglect but keeping the soil too wet will rot the roots.
7. In a few weeks you should see new growth appearing. Once the plant is well-established you can reduce watering to once every couple of weeks.
There you have it! With just a little bit of effort you can easily propagate snake plants from root.
How do you propagate snake plant from root?
By division or by cuttings.
Where do you cut the snake plant when propagating by division?
You cut the plant at the rootball being careful not to damage the roots.
How do you propagate snake plant from cuttings?
By taking stem cuttings and rooting them in water.
Where do you cut the snake plant when taking stem cuttings?
Cut the plant just below a leaf node.
How do you plant the snake plant once it has been propagated?
By planting it in well-draining potting soil.
What is the best time of year to propagate snake plant?
Spring or summer.
How often do you need to water snake plant?
Once a week or when the soil is dry.
Does snake plant need direct sunlight?
No it prefers indirect sunlight.
What type of pot is best for snake plant?
A pot with drainage holes.
What fertilizer is best for snake plant?
A balanced all-purpose fertilizer.
How often do you fertilize snake plant?
What pests or diseases does snake plant commonly get?
Mealybugs spider mites and root rot.
How do you control mealybugs on snake plant?
By spraying the plant with water or rubbing alcohol.
How do you control spider mites on snake plant?
By spraying the plant with water or neem oil.
How do you control root rot on snake plant?
By planting in well-draining potting soil and not over-watering.