What To Do If My Dog Ate Rat Poison

If your dog has eaten rat poison it is important to seek professional medical help immediately and call your veterinarian or local animal hospital. If you have the container of poison please bring this with you or find out the name and active ingredients. There is no one definitive answer for the course of treatment as it will depend on the severity of the toxicity and timing of the ingestion. Blood may need to be taken for clotting tests and to assess for anemia. Treatment may be as simple as giving vitamin K tablets for 3-6 weeks or may require more intensive treatment such as blood transfusions and hospitalization.

How do I know if my dog ate rat poison?

The most common symptom of rat poison ingestion in dogs is bleeding.

This can occur internally resulting in blood in the stool or externally resulting in bruising or nosebleeds.

If you suspect your dog has eaten rat poison contact your veterinarian or emergency animal hospital immediately.

See also  Why Is Divorce Rate So High

Leave a Comment