Sure you could just go out and buy a frog gig at your local sporting goods store. But where’s the fun in that? If you’re the DIY type you can easily make your own frog gig. Here’s how:
-A long strong pole (wood or metal)
-A sharp narrow blade (a knife or an old-fashioned mowing blade will work)
-Some wire or string
-A piece of cloth or leather
To make the gig:
1. Attach the blade to the end of the pole making sure that it’s securely fastened.
2. If using wire create a handle on the other end of the pole by wrapping the wire around it several times. If using string tie the string around the end of the pole to create a handle.
3. Place the cloth or leather over the blade securing it with the wire or string. This will help to keep the blade from harming the frog when you gig it.
To use the gig:
1. Look for frogs near bodies of water such as ponds lakes or streams.
2. Approach the frog quietly and slowly so as not to startle it.
3. Once you’re close enough thrust the gig into the water near the frog.
4. The frog will likely try to jump away but if you’ve timed your gig correctly you’ll be able to catch it by the leg or body.
5. Carefully remove the frog from the water and place it in a bag or container.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 until you’ve caught the desired number of frogs.
And that’s it! With your very own DIY frog gig you’ll be able to go out and catch frogs anytime you want. Just be sure to follow the steps above carefully so as not to harm the frogs.
How do you gig a frog?
You use a long thin pole with a sharp point or barbed hook on the end.
When is the best time to gig a frog?
The best time to gig a frog is at night when they are most active.
Where do you gig a frog?
You can gig a frog in any body of water where they live including ponds lakes and swamps.
What is the best way to gig a frog?
The best way to gig a frog is to sit quietly near the water’s edge and wait for one to come close.
Then you quickly jab the frog with the gig.
How do you gig a frog without a gig?
If you don’t have a gig you can use a sharp stick or a sharpened piece of metal.
What is a gig?
A gig is a long thin pole with a sharp point or barbed hook on the end.
Is gigging a frog cruel?
Some people think gigging a frog is cruel because it is a way of killing them.
Do all frogs gig?
No not all frogs gig.
Only certain species of frogs are able to gig.
What do you do with a gigged frog?
Some people eat gigged frogs.
Why do people gig frogs?
Some people gig frogs for food while others do it for fun.
Is gigging frogs legal?
In some states gigging frogs is legal.
How many frogs can you gig in one night?
There is no limit to the number of frogs you can gig in one night.
What is the record for the most frogs gigged in one night?
The record for the most frogs gigged in one night is held by Robert Irwin who gigged 721 frogs in one night in 1955.
What is the world record for the most frogs gigged in one year?
The world record for the most frogs gigged in one year is held by James L.
Martin who gigged 5426 frogs in one year.
What is the average lifespan of a frog?
The average lifespan of a frog is 4-5 years.