According to the majority of sources snake plants are best kept as indoor plants. This is because they thrive in shady humid conditions – conditions which are often difficult to recreate outdoors. Snake plants are also known for being tough and resilient which makes them ideal for indoor growing.
That being said there are some people who have had success growing snake plants outdoors provided they live in a warm climate with low humidity. If you live in an area with hot summers and dry winters it’s probably best to stick to growing your snake plant indoors.
Here are some tips for successfully growing a snake plant indoors:
– Choose a pot that is slightly larger than the root ball of the plant.
– Snake plants prefer well-draining soil. You can either use a cactus potting mix or make your own by mixing equal parts sand and peat moss.
– Water your snake plant sparingly. Allow the soil to dry out completely between watering.
– Place your snake plant in a bright indirect light. Avoid direct sunlight which can scorch the leaves.
– Snake plants are not heavy feeders so you only need to fertilize them once or twice a year. Use a diluted succulent fertilizer or a balanced (10-10-10) fertilizer.
With a little bit of care your snake plant will thrive indoors for many years to come!
Are snake plants indoor or outdoor plants?
Can snake plants be kept outside?
Where do snake plants originate from?
How often should you water a snake plant?
Every 3-4 weeks
What type of soil is best for a snake plant?
Well-drained sandy soil
What is the ideal temperature for a snake plant?
65-75 degrees Fahrenheit
How much light does a snake plant need?
What is the ideal humidity for a snake plant?
What is the maximum height a snake plant can reach?
What is the best way to propagate a snake plant?
Root leaf cuttings in water
How often does a snake plant need to be fertilized?
Every 2-3 months
What pests are attracted to snake plants?
Mealybugs and spider mites
What diseases does a snake plant suffer from?
Edema and root rot
What is the lifespan of a snake plant?
How often do you need to repot a snake plant?
Every 2-3 years